About Me

My photo
TX
A 20-something HipMix.net employee, afflicted with the grace of a drunken hippopotamus, tries out the world of belly dance. She attempts to tell her tale through a mixture of sarcasm and honesty.

Monday, September 19, 2011

Arguing with Idiots

I know I shouldn't argue with idiots. They simply aren't worth the effort. My time can be better spent some place else. While I work with and love belly dance, sometimes it's hard to translate for someone who doesn't get it. Someone who can't get past the bare belly. Someone who has to say, "Oh I took pole dancing once." You know this someone.

Unfortunately, this weekend those idiots will be family members.

That sounds harsh. I LOVE my family members, but sometimes it's hard to make a logical argument to blood. No matter what you say, they are still picturing you as that kid who threw sand and loved to sing random Disney songs in Wal-Mart. Not that any of that is from personal experience...

Anyways, I could really use some pointers. How do you argue with someone who really doesn't "get" belly dance, especially someone who shares your last name?

1 comment:

  1. Invite them to a show or class! Sometimes an experience is much more valuable for overturning misconceptions than any conversation can be. Sometimes idiocy is simply ignorance, and in this case, there's often decades of Orientalist flavored veils (pardon the pun) to lift from someone's eyes before they realize they've been mistaken. If they're not willing to come, just stay gracious about it; you know what it's all about, after all!

    ReplyDelete