About Me

My photo
TX
A 20-something HipMix.net employee, afflicted with the grace of a drunken hippopotamus, tries out the world of belly dance. She attempts to tell her tale through a mixture of sarcasm and honesty.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Still a Newbie After Everything

This week marks one year since I became inducted into the world of belly dance. I say inducted because even though it is categorized as a hobby, belly dance is more of a lifestyle, a club even.

After being in the world for what feels like forever, I am still reminded every now and again that for the time being I am only a visitor to the world of belly dance. I don't take regular lessons, I don't own a costume, and I still haven't set goals to my life in dance. While I'm passionate about the art form, I haven't been bitten by the bug, so to speak. Even so, I'm constantly inspired by the women and men of belly dance.

Today, my lesson came in the form of a new word: tribaret. Clearly I can discern what it means, but I guess it took me off guard that I'd never heard or considered such a term. Maybe because it seems repetitive - isn't tribal already derived from cabaret? The performance labeled as such is what appears to be a relatively traditional cabaret dance, only performed to a modern song (Amy Winehouse, in this case).

Here's the video:



What do you guys think?

2 comments:

  1. In my personal experience, "tribaret" is a fusion of cabaret and tribal elements. It's sort of one of those things that is hard to explain but you know it when you see it... A perfect blend of moves and costuming from both styles. It can be really hard to tell the difference between tribaret and tribal fusion or cabaret fusion, especially since right now the current trend in tribal costuming seems to be to incorporate more sparkly elements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm interesting! Thanks for the feedback, AJ. Just goes to show that I don't know everything :)

    ReplyDelete