About Me

My photo
TX
A 20-something HipMix.net employee, afflicted with the grace of a drunken hippopotamus, tries out the world of belly dance. She attempts to tell her tale through a mixture of sarcasm and honesty.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Drinking the Koolaid

So, for a few months now I've been meaning to "get back" to belly dance class.

Ok in the spirit of honesty, I have only taken a few classes.

Ah! I know! I know, I work for HipMix and I've taken one class. I'm a horrible person. Somehow, between watching belly dance, reading about belly dance, and interacting with belly dancers, I thought I was one. Not true. I feel like a band groupie. I'm in with the crowd, but I can't really relate, you know?

They talk about shimmies, hip drops, performances, and the troubles of breaking the stereotype. I'm the eager puppy, nodding my head and pretending to understand. They just sort of smile and pat me on the shoulder. "As if you know..."

But belly dancers are a lot nicer than that. They've been very helpful. And what have I done? I'm mixing the koolaid but I don't drink it*.

Well, I am finally giving back to the community. Not only am I FINALLY taking a belly dance class tomorrow, I've recruited two partners in crime: my coworkers Kaitlyn and Haley!

Plus by putting this in writing, they can't back out. Hear that? YOU CAN'T BACK OUT!

More details coming soon!

*no belly dancers were poisoned in the making of this blog post

No comments:

Post a Comment