About Me

My photo
TX
A 20-something HipMix.net employee, afflicted with the grace of a drunken hippopotamus, tries out the world of belly dance. She attempts to tell her tale through a mixture of sarcasm and honesty.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Haunting Photos of Too-Thin Models

Taking a break from my regularly scheduled sitcom to bring you this message:

Guys, this photo really haunts me.

From Huffington Post Article

Look at the girl to the right's shoulder bones. You can see her back ribs, her vertebrae. How is this ok?

Move along to the girl on the left. See her prominent clavicle. I'm not saying these girls are unattractive, or that they aren't "naturally" skinny. But you can't airbrush a rib out of a runway walk. So why is this acceptable?

I understand the fashion industry's need for using small models. I've written about it before, and I'll probably write about it again. It makes it easier for displaying clothes on any model around the world with minimal alterations needed. I get it. I still think you need to make your base sample a size 2 or 4, but that's me.

Shouldn't we celebrate the curves of a woman, instead of placing clothes on tall, angular, alien-like creatures who look as if they could fall over at any moment?

Like this belly dancer, doesn't she look so much happier and healthier than the girls above?
Madeline Bingham, Awesome Belly Dancer
 I mean, obviously she is smiling. That's a start. But she looks like she could wear any of the clothes from that runway show and still make them look fantastic.

On a side note, if you know her, let her know she's awesome! She designs the most amazing belly dance costumes, like a wonder woman costume, and some others.

Ok, off my soap box. Hope to bring you the story of how I scare off visitors to our office!

2 comments:

  1. first of all, those models aren t supposed to smile or have a good time or be noticed on the catwalk, ;) so it s not nice to post a picture of another woman and say "doesn t she look healtier than them?"
    it s all a matter of perspective.
    personally, I am naturally very skinny (my scapulas are showing a great deal if you look at my back, for example), and do not enjoy these kind of rants for obvious reasons. bellydance generally (despite the "all bodytypes are welcome" line) isn t much supportive for skinny women, and that is a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see your point, and I would take back my rant if it were that the thin model were the exception. Obviously naturally skinny women exist, and they are beautiful as well, but when every model on the catwalk is significantly below a healthy BMI, I can't help but wonder what standards we are really setting. You're right - showing models in work mode versus a smiling woman isn't a helpful comparison of proper beauty, but I simply meant her body type and not her demeanor. In any case, thanks for taking the time to comment, and I'm definitely going to look into what you said about belly dance not supporting skinny models. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete