About Me

My photo
TX
A 20-something HipMix.net employee, afflicted with the grace of a drunken hippopotamus, tries out the world of belly dance. She attempts to tell her tale through a mixture of sarcasm and honesty.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Fashion Shows and Skinny Models My Coworker Wants to Feed

I attended a fashion show last night hosted by Posh Couture Magazine at Venue in Houston, Texas. While I enjoyed the clothing, I couldn't help but be appalled at how thin many of the models were.

Kathy Griffin once joked that all clothes look good on Nicole Kidman because she is basically a coat hanger. After my first fashion show, I felt like the clothes could have been displayed as well on a revolving coat hanger apparatus.

I understand that as a fashion designer, designing clothing for one size makes it easier to display your drawings on any model. It's the same reason drill teams and dance squads require everyone to wear the same makeup and hair style - uniformity is important for the end result. If all models are the same size, than design samples don't have to be altered if displayed on different models in Paris, New York, Milan, etc.

But do all design samples need to be size one? Can most clothing look just as good on a larger model?

Of course, not all models are size one (really, size zero). Fitness models tend to be more athletic than your average model. So why does high fashion have to aspire to this coat hanger appeal? Is it because these are clothing items not created for your average woman, and thus doesn't have to cater to those oh so restrictive terms of the reality of the female form?

This is something I've noticed in the difference between men and women: what we find attractive in a female. Ask your S.O. if he's noticed that extra 5 pounds you're convinced you've gained. Unless it's in your bra, he hasn't.

Obviously I want people to be of a healthy weight. There are so many health issues associated with obesity, why write yourself an early ticket to the morgue?

But underweight health issues can be just as bad as overweight, especially if diet measures taken in order to become underweight are extreme.

Of course, I'm just piddly little Christina with no influence in anything, not even getting my stupid Saturn Ion to run reliably. What does my opinion matter?

All I know, is the next time I show up to a fashion event, I am bringing a big ol' bag of burgers to throw on stage!

No comments:

Post a Comment