About Me

My photo
TX
A 20-something HipMix.net employee, afflicted with the grace of a drunken hippopotamus, tries out the world of belly dance. She attempts to tell her tale through a mixture of sarcasm and honesty.

Monday, November 15, 2010

The Boyfriend and the Belly Dancer

Saturday night, I begged and begged my boyfriend to take me to the local hookah bar and watch some belly dancers. After all, I've only taken one class, and I haven't seen any belly dancers live since that time an Australian belly dancer showed me a hole in her shoes (interesting night).

So we finally went. I bought us hookah and paid the cover charge (my bribe for getting him to get outside his comfort zone). We settled down and waited.

I'm not sure when the dancing was scheduled to begin, but we apparently got there too early. As such, we got to watch the hookah bar slowly fill up. Having been to the bar on non-belly dance nights, it was incredible to see how much traffic the belly dancing brought to the business.

In fact, the bar was so crowded we were asked to share our large couch area with a group of strangers. They were very nice, so I didn't mind.

Then the dancing began.

It was really interesting to see the moves I could put names to, as well as the moves I couldn't. It made me feel like I still had a lot to learn (after one lesson? wow!). My boyfriend loved, I mean LOVED, the music. He thinks that because we have Rock Band, he can drum. But it was pretty adorable to watch him play the music on his leg.

While surrounded by newcomers to belly dance, I was heartened to see their response. Many of the girls were impressed, "I could never do that!" I wanted to tell them they could.

Only one guy near me made leering remarks. "Bow chicka wow wow," he kept saying.

After all was said and done, I felt very impressed by the caliber, diversity, and enthusiasm of the dancers. Some of them looked so happy, I wanted to join. I could see people around me dancing in their seats. The last belly dancer even brought people out of the audience to dance!

Somewhere near the end of the show, my boyfriend put his arm around me and said, "Best $5 you've ever spent on me."

Another person converted to the love of belly dance!

1 comment: