About Me

My photo
TX
A 20-something HipMix.net employee, afflicted with the grace of a drunken hippopotamus, tries out the world of belly dance. She attempts to tell her tale through a mixture of sarcasm and honesty.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I Can Only Look in the Mirror After a Beer

Ever since my belly dance class, I've been trying to practice my moves in front of a mirror. As anyone knows, practice makes perfect, and I am a perfectionist.

However, the longer I stand in front of a mirror, dancing, the sillier I feel. Is this vanity? Do my hips really look like that?

I don't know what my problem is.

I'm not afraid of my reflection. Sometimes, him and I are friends. Sometimes we aren't. But I have to stare at myself in a mirror to fix my hair, put on makeup; all of which are judging activities (we have to make sure our eyeliner doesn't look crooked, and our hair isn't falling down in the back).

So why does dancing in front a mirror freak me out?

Last night, after my usual Wings Tuesday, I'd had a beer or two, and while brushing my teeth, decided to try out some shimmies. Then I worked on my snake arms and had a huge breakthrough. Now I can move my arms so they look somewhat snake-like. And I didn't feel embarrassed at all!

Today it's been a little easier testing my dance moves, but I can feel the insecurity creeping back in.

I thought I'd made such big inroads to increasing my self-esteem. I'm beginning to wonder if I've fixed my body image issues at all, or if I'm just avoiding my reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment