About Me

My photo
TX
A 20-something HipMix.net employee, afflicted with the grace of a drunken hippopotamus, tries out the world of belly dance. She attempts to tell her tale through a mixture of sarcasm and honesty.

Friday, November 5, 2010

Hip+Fit: My First Belly Dance Class

After my waiting, talk, and planning, when it came time for my first belly dance class, I wanted to back out.


See how happy I look before dance class?


Kaitlyn will tell you how I was dreading my class all day at work. One of my coworkers invited me over to her house, and I normally subscribe to the better offers club and peace out on prior commitments.

I tried to call Tiffany/Kitana in the morning to confirm my appointment, but, since she has a day job, she was unavailable. Kaitlyn made me promise,

"Call Tiffany again. 
If she doesn't answer, then don't go. 
But if she does, then you should go."

I called. No answer.

"I'm off the hook!" I exclaimed.
Instantly, the fear and dread melted away (reminiscent of my high school days, right before swim practice).

I don't know why I feel that way about after school/work commitments that involve classes. Is it a fear of not being good at the activity, missing out on other activities, or the unknown?

Then my phone rang.


Tiffany confirmed my appointment, and gave me instructions on how to get to her studio, etc.

I gave Kaitlyn my sad puppy dog eyes, as expressed in my photo before the break, but she wasn't having any of it. I tried to convince her to come along, but she was conveniently "busy". Yeah. Right.

Let's skip ahead to the good part. I arrived at Tiffany's studio, Kitana Bellydance. After some confusion about where to park (right in front on the grass would have been a better option), I walked around the gate to her studio.

I was greeted by an adorably happy little boy (I'm guessing her son) who left pretty shortly after I arrived (a good thing - I am not good with kids. Inevitably I cuss or say something wildly inappropriate in front of them. I must have selective child-induced tourettes). Anyways, Tiffany asked me what I wanted to learn, which I thought was a nice idea.

See, people learn bellydance for many different reasons.
  • to lose weight
  • for their husbands/significant others
  • for fun
  • to become a great belly dancer
I'm in the for fun/work category. So she gave me a sheet of a bunch of moves and told me we'd learn some. After class, she checked off what I'd learned so
a) I felt accomplished and
b) I was motivated to come back and learn more.
A smart move, if you ask me. I always analyze people's business models.

The dance class itself? It was really fun, and a lot more work than I anticipated. My abs aren't hurting quite as much as I thought they would, but what really hurts are my arms! Holding them up is hard work. And I want to preface that I run, lift weights, and used to swim competitively. So believe me when I say it was harder than I thought.

I learned some hip circles, chest lifts, chest circles (I am so not good at those), hip drops (I can actually do that), and some hand/arm work. After going over the movements, we did drills (aka repeat repeat repeat), and at the very end put together some basic choreography.

All in all, I was terrifically pleased with Tiffany as an instructor, as well as the company in the class (a very sweet Brazillian? I think? with fantastically red hair). Oh and of course belly dancing as a whole. I can't wait to get back! I may have to make this a Thursday occurrence.

No comments:

Post a Comment